Tuesday, March 05, 2013
This blog post is the second in a three part series that I'm dedicating to the topic of creating a healthier home environment. In this series I will be covering (1) Household Hazardous Waste Disposal, (2) Green Cleaning Techniques and (3) Improving Indoor Air Quality.

My goal is to make my own home a healthier place to live. In so doing, I would like to share the information and resources that I come across in the hopes that it might be of some use to you and your family. By the same token, I'm sure that many of you reading this will have some knowledge of your own in these areas. If you have any helpful hints, anecdotal evidence or words of advice please share!

Here's to creating healthy homes and a healthy environment with healthy and happy people.

Coming home to a clean and uncluttered house helps me relax and unwind at the end of a long day, and I actually feel more peaceful as a result. The problem is, many of the cleaning products I've grown accustomed to using are both bad for the environment and bad for our health.

But thanks to endless amounts of information via the World Wide Web, I've started my transition from hazardous to healthy cleaning. Below I've included two recipes, one for an all purpose bathroom and kitchen cleaner and the other for unblocking clogged drains. These solutions are both eco-friendly and budget friendly!

Powerful Citrus & Vinegar All-Purpose Cleaner

This eco-friendly cleaning solution is great for the bathroom and kitchen. Believe it or not, vinegar is an effective natural disinfectant and the added blast of citrus helps to cut through grease and stubborn soap scum. Plus it smells a lot better than cleaning with straight vinegar and water!

What you will need:
  • 16 ounce mason jar
  • Citrus peel (I used the peels from 2 navel oranges but you can substitute with grapefruit, lime, lemon, etc.)
  • White distilled vinegar
Instructions:
  1. Place the citrus peels of your choice in your glass mason jar.
  2. Cover the citrus peels with white distilled vinegar until the jar is full and put the lid on.
  3. Let sit for two weeks, giving the jar a shake every so often when you think of it.
  4. In two weeks time strain the vinegar from the orange peels into a spray bottle or the container of your choice. For a less concentrated solution add water.
Natural Drain Cleaner & 'Declogger'

I'll admit that I have yet to test this one but I'm keeping it in my back pocket in case of a drain cleaning emergency. I've always felt terrible about pouring chemical-based cleaners down the drain so this recipe is a welcome alternative (thanks to diylife.com).

What you will need:
  • 1 cup baking soda
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1/4 cup cream of tartar
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • Sealable container
Instructions:
  1. Combine the baking soda, salt and cream of tartar in a glass or plastic sealable container.
  2. Stir until mixed.
  3. Pour 1/4 of the dry mixture down your clogged drain followed by 2 cups of boiling water.
  4. Let stand for approximately 1 hour then run water from the tap down the drain.   

0 comments: