Sunday, February 10, 2013

Last month I talked about how to use organic olive oil as a natural facial cleanser and moisturizer. This month I'm moving forward with my theme on natural hygiene and beauty products by kicking things off with a simple but effective recipe for homemade organic lip balm.

Before I get into the details, let me start by saying that this stuff really works. For those of you who've visited my blog before you know that I live in the “Great White North” where we've been experiencing some major winter storm action as of late. All this to say that I've had the opportunity to put this recipe to the test in the most extreme weather conditions and my lips have never felt so soft. It's way better than anything I've ever bought at the store, and it's all natural to boot!

So without further ado, I give you the secret to super smoochable lips – just in time for Valentine's Day!

Ingredients (double for a larger yield):
  • 2 tablespoons of organic coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons of pure organic beeswax (you may choose to use a bit less if you want the final product to be a bit softer)
  • 4 drops of organic peppermint essential oil

Instructions:
  1. Heat your coconut oil and beeswax in a small sauce pot or crockpot until both are completely melted.



  2. Add your essential oil and stir.
  3. Pour the liquid mixture into a sterilized lip balm tube or the container of your choice, and wait for it to harden as it cools.


Benefits:

In addition to being all natural and chemical-free, homemade lip balm could also result in cost savings if you consider the price of most store bought chap sticks (natural or otherwise). The block of beeswax cost me around $13 (CAD) but I barely put a dent in it and I even doubled the recipe. Plus, all three of the ingredients in this recipe can be used for other DYI beauty products.

The other thing I discovered about this concoction (somewhat by accident) is that it makes a great cuticle cream. I suffer from dry skin on my hands in the winter so I'm always in search of heavy duty hand creams. While it's a bit greasy to use all over, this recipe absorbs quite nicely into the cuticles and offers great protection from the harsh elements.

The last benefit I can think of, and probably the best of all, is that it smells amazing! No need for synthetic perfumes or fragrances. The combination of the coconut, peppermint and beeswax is heavenly all on its own.

0 comments: